These principles have been developed over the years to provide members of Rotary with a strong, common purpose and direction. They serve as a foundation for relationships with each other and the action they take in the world.
The OBJECT OF ROTARY is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and to encourage and foster:
- FIRST: The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service
- SECOND: High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society
- THIRD: The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and community life
- FOURTH: The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
The FOUR-WAY TEST is a nonpartisan and non-sectarian ethical guide for Rotarians to use for their personal, professional and vocational relationships. The test has been translated into more than 100 languages, and Rotarians recite it at club meetings:
Of the things we think, say or do
- Is it the truth?
- Is it fair to all concerned?
- Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
- Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
The five AVENUES OF SERVICE are where we channel our commitment to service at home and abroad through, which are the foundation of club activity:
- Club Service focuses on making clubs strong. A thriving club is anchored by strong relationships and an active membership development plan.
- Vocational Service calls on every member of Rotary to work with integrity and contribute their expertise to the problems and needs of society. Learn more in An Introduction to Vocational Service and the Code of Conduct.
- Community Service encourages every Rotary member to find ways to improve the quality of life for people in their communities and to serve the public interest.
- International Service exemplifies our global reach in promoting peace and understanding. We support this service avenue by sponsoring or volunteering on international projects, seeking partners abroad, and more.
- Youth Service recognises the importance of empowering youth and young adults through leadership development / personal growth programs such as Rotaract, Interact, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, and Rotary Youth Exchange.
Interested? Learn more about Sunshine Coast Passport Rotary